BARONY of  NORTH CADBURY                                                                                                SOMERSET   ·   ENGLAND                                                                                                                    Erected by King William I. about AD 1066                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           'Keeping history alive'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

  PAINTING GALLERY


                     The Baron de Newmarch Collection                    


                               

                         Jörg Hubert, 6th Baron of North Cadbury                                                                       oil on linen, 2016                                                                                                              by MAX SCOTTO                                              

                                                                                                                                                                                                        

The Baron extends his right hand in a welcoming gesture. The background shows a view of South Cadbury. The mound which breaks the horizon line is Cadbury Castle, a site rich of archaeological interest. As this it is the most probable site of King Arthur's Court called Camelot and the place where the barony takes its name from.

Ever since the Renaissance, the nobility, the gentry and the fashion-conscious have chosen to be recorded for posterity by a portraitist. Portrait genre has thrived in Germany and Britain with artists like Dürer, van Dyke, Reynolds, Gainsborough and Raeburn. This consideration motivated the Baron to commission a Scottish based artist, Max Scotto, to paint his portrait.

The artist worked to create a painting that evoked a historical period, such as those of Old Master painters. Max told us that he was influenced by the Grand Manner, a style promoted by Sir Joshua Reynolds, and he based his colour choices on the palette of Thomas Gainsborough.

Max said: “During this creative phase I studied paintings and images from my art library. The regular study of the work of classic painters is a great source of inspiration for me and it influences my own painting process”.

While the artist is open to use modern media in the compositional stages, he prefers the classical approach of drawing and painting from life. His ultimate goal is to perceive the beauty in the person he paints and look for ways to portray this in a compelling picture.                                    

The Baron was very pleased to unveil the painting on 8th June 2016 and is delighted to recommend Max Scotto, a highly talented portrait painter. 

 


                                                        

                                                                                                

               Regina, Baroness of North Cadbury                                                                         oil on linen, 2016                                                                                                                                   by MAX SCOTTO                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

In 2016 Max Scotto was commissioned to paint a portrait of the Baron. The painter produced an outstanding piece with a very classic taste, depicting the Baron and a view of Cadbury Castle in South Cadbury. The Baron was so delighted with his portrait that in 2016 he commissioned the artist to paint his wife, the Baroness.                                                              

Mr Scotto, who is based in Scotland, painted a bust composition of the Lady of North Cadbury inside an oval. He told that he felt inspired by some small portraits in the Scottish National Portrait Gallery.
The spandrels were painted directly on the linen canvas and each corner was decorated with Romanesque initials of the Baroness and the artist’s signature, imitating the gold of the superb swept frame which was also handmade according to the painter’s specifications for this piece.

The Baroness was very pleased to unveil the painting at her home and is delighted to recommend Max Scotto, an outstanding portrait painter.



 

                                                                            THE ARTIST

 

                                                                        Max Scotto MSc          

Max Scotto, was born in Argentina and is the fourth generation artist of a family of painters, jewellers and engravers of Northern Italy and Scottish ancestry. Thus, from an early age he displayed talent for the visual arts and was encouraged to draw and paint by his family.
Max received private tuition on drawing, oil painting, conservation and continues to practise at the Academy of Realist Art in Edinburgh. His style and logical approach to painting is inspired by the work and techniques of the Old Masters and he is a keen student of the theory and practice of traditional oil painting.
The artist also holds a Master of Science in Housing and Regeneration, and has worked in the Scottish housing field for over a decade. His interest in social issues represents another facet of his concern for people, which has drawn him to portraiture. 

You can read more about this brilliant artist and the process he followed for this commission at the artist’s own website  www.maxscotto.com





 

 

                                                  

                                               ' Gardens at South Cadbury', Somerset 1934                                                                                                                EDWARD STEEL HARPER RBSA (1878-1951)                                                                                                                                                           


A beautiful and well painted oil on board painting by the highly collected English landscape painter Edward Steel Harper.
Vibrant colours of a natural scene at South Cadbury, with Cadbury Castle in the middle background, entitled 'Gardens at South Cadbury, Somerset'.

Edward Steel Harper has signed with monogram and dated this original oil painting.

Cadbury Castle in South Cadbury, after the barony is named, is the most probable site of King Arthur's principle court famously called Camelot.


                                                                                                                                                                                                THE ARTIST                                            
                        
Edward Steel Harper, RBSA (1878-1951)              

Edward Steel Harper is known as an English landscape painter in oil.
Harper was born on 11 June 1878 in Handsworth, Birmingham. He lived most of his life at 55 Moorpool Avenue, in the Birmingham suburb of Harborne.
His father was Edward Samuel Harper (1854-1941) who was a portrait, figure and genre painter from Birmingham. Harper was the eldest of three children. All became professional artists following a family tradition.       
Edward Steel Harper was Honorary Secretary and Professor of Anatomy at the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists (RBSA), Director of the Life Academy at Birmingham School of Art (1880-1919) and Art Critic for the Birmingham Post.
ES Harper studied at the Birmingham School of Arts, which was at the time one of the leading art schools in the world, where teaching was influenced by the Arts & Crafts Movement. Later Harper has been specialized in landscape painting, using “wet white” techniques, previously pioneered by the Pre-Raphaelite painters. Harper has signed his works with a remarkable monogram, which incorporates a harp to distinguish him from his father, who had the same initials.
He became an elected member of the RBSA in 1915. Later Harper became Art Master of Wolverhampton Grammar School where he remained until his retirement in 1942. He was known to have painted 2000 pictures during his lifetime. His principal works include The Breath of Spring and Woods by the Shore, both of which were exhibited at the RBSA and were bought directly by Birmingham Art Gallery. He exhibited his paintings from 1920 to 1937 at several of leading venues, including the Royal Academy of Arts, Royal Institute of Oil Painters, Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool, as well as the RBSA.
Works by him are represented in many public collections, including the Royal Academy of Arts and the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery.
Edward Steel Harper died on the 5th April 1951.

 

 


                                                                                                                                                            

        ' The Tor' Glastonbury, Somersetshire                                                                                                   E. FRITH, 1911                                                                  


This oil on board painting from 1911, shows the countryside at Glastonbury with the famous Glastonbury Tor in the background. Glastonbury, 17 miles away from North Cadbury is the most probable place of King Arthur's legendary Avalon.