BARONY of  NORTH CADBURY                                                                                                SOMERSET   ·   ENGLAND                                                                                                                    Erected by King William I. about AD 1066                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           'Keeping history alive'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

      NORTH CADBURY VISIT 2014

 

 The Baron and Baroness visited North Cadbury on 7th July 2014  


The Lord and Lady of North Cadbury are pleased to announce that they have visited the medieval seat of the famous barony in Somerset. 

 

The Baron with the Churchwarden Dr Michael V. Martin MBE at the entrance to the Church of St Michael's North Cadbury.

      

The Baron and Lady were very warm welcomed by the Churchwarden of the Camelot Parish Dr Michael V. Martin MBE, his wife Jane and the Vice Chairman of the North Cadbury Village Hall Management Committee Joan Anderson. It was a great honour to be well received.                          

Michael Martin and Joan Anderson led Jörg and Regina through the very lovely villages of North Cadbury, South Cadbury and Galhampton and showed them the historic buildings from the ancient times. In the North Cadbury Village Hall Joan Anderson has given an explicit overview over the forthcoming refurbishment works which are urgently required.                                                                                                                                                                  

Up on the agenda was also a trip to the famous King Arthur's Cadbury Castle in South Cadbury and finally to the market town Castle Cary. The countryside with it's beautiful scenery, the typical old houses sometimes with thatched roofs and to meet the really very kindly and welcoming residents was lovely.

Jörg and Regina give their cordially thanks to all the people which were involved in this marvellous and very impressive visit and for their generosity. Particularly thanks also to the Chairman of the North Cadbury Village Hall Management Committee Robin Russel who has arranged this visit.


                                                                                    North Cadbury 

View from Galhampton over the village of North Cadbury within the trees to the hill of Cadbury Castle in South Cadbury (right)


North Cadbury Court



Church of St Michael the Archangel at North Cadbury

 

North Cadbury Church and graveyard

 

Old Yew tree at North Cadbury Church planted in 1427

 

 
 

 

 


A view from the graveyard to North Cadbury Court

 

 

 

North Cadbury Court

 

North Cadbury Village Hall

 


Vice Chairman Mrs Joan Anderson and Jörg

                                 

'On the Stage'

                                  

 

 

The Catash Inn

 

  

     South Cadbury

 

The Camelot in South Cadbury near Cadbury Castle

 

 

Galhampton

 

Galhampton

Galhampton Village seen from the Cricket Ground

 


View from Galhampton Cricket Ground to Glastonbury Tor

 

  

 Castle Cary 

 

The Market Hall

 


'The Round House' in Castle Cary was built in 1779 as a temporary prison or lock-up. Very crazy!

 

 

Lady Regina with Mrs Joan Anderson in front of 'The Round House'

 

 

 

The two original keys of 'The Round House'